} -->

27.8.07

Oxy the Slut Bunny Jawn

The 3rd and final installment to "Back Like Cooked Crack" will be an interview with non other than promoter extrordinaire, Miss Oxy Cottontail.

Just like the firsts and second installment, Oxy has not only continued to succeed in her field but she's expaned her resume by means of becoming a rapper/singer. Earlier this year, she released a solo ep and played at the Drake Hotel here in Toronto (which we co-hosted by the way).

The interview was originally published on September 2005 via the online magazine I continue not to name (as to avoid any sort of confrontation).

Would you like to introduce yourself and tell everyone what it is you do?
I’m known to most as Oxy Cottontail or Roxy. Most know me as a nightclub promoter and booker. I’m really a designer and I can be a publicist when I feel like it. I book bands, DJs, design events, plan showcases, mostly music that makes people move. I also work for aNYthing on the media and music side of things. I am also the late night coordinator of Joe’s Pub, I produce and book the events after 11pm at this legendary live music venue in the heart of the East Village.

I basically hustle music.

So how long have you been promoting for? Did this start in Philly?
I’ve been promoting “Oxy” for over a year and half now. I began promoting parties about 4 years ago as a sub-promoter for Motherfucker here in NYC while I was working as a designer in the beauty/accessories business. I lived with Justine D. and god bless my baby girl, I learned EVERYTHING about promoting just by living with her. Through osmosis of everyday life we lead together she made me realize I could do something I love and don’t need a corny 9 to 5 to survive.

After 9/11 I moved to Philly for a job in jewelry design and to clear my head and experience another city, just to switch it up. It turned out to be possibly one of the greatest things I could do with my life because I began going to Hollertronix, a party created by Diplo & Low Budget in the Ukranian Club of North Philly. I fell hard for the party but I could not dream big enough in Philly, so I moved back to NYC and brought Hollertronix here with me.

PS. I am originally from the suburbs of Baltimore, not Philly like most think.

Is it hard being a promoter in New York?
Yeah I bet it is hard for some promoters in NYC, only the strong survive here. I feel as though I’ve been grinding something serious and I’ve accumulated a pretty deep fan base in downtown. Kids now know that I have love for some good & new music. I also like laidback clubs, and loud/nice sound systems. I am not the biggest fan of rain or snow - that is the hard part. The constant grinding is pretty solid and routine now, I’m so used to it. It is a ton of work, and it gets easier when weekly parties are running themselves, it helps a lot. Retail Mafia Mondays used to be me and 20 dudes. Now look at it, it’s full of hot young people every Monday.

How much time is spent on promoting?
Is this your fulltime job? Yeah it’s 24/7, my life. Party Animal some say. It’s beyond fulltime now.

What are some of your weekly nites?
RETAIL MAFIA MONDAYS @ Sway (305 Spring St.)
-The best club/lounge in NYC. Here all the RM brands let me showcase the best DJs in the city. A-trak and The X-ecutioners come over and juggle it every so often, old school Alamo, new school Ronson or Low Budget. I fly in Texas DJs occasionally for SCREW YORK CITY. This is a night I try to keep monthly in the Retail Mafia weekly since the South is so hot right now. Mondays are like a Downtown living room with all our friends and associates who inspire us to hustle. There are also the randoms but they look interesting enough, random celebrities also stop by. Red Stripe or Harp Lager also sponsors the night with an hour and a half of FREE BEER. We have a really tasty Halloween party to plan too.

EASTSIDE GANGBANG FRIDAYS @ Mission (217 Bowery)
-My partner Bill Spector and I put this night on. It’s fun for dancing and acting a fool. It goes pretty late, 2 Floors of fun, some B & T, the weirdos are downstairs for the most part. Spankrock has performed in the VIP Banquet twice, I freak out on the owner pretty often, its always entertaining. I have mostly downtown DJs come through and once in awhile a Baltimore DJ will come slaughter it on the booty house tip. I’m mostly dancing or taking pictures while Bill hangs out in front of the club. I pop bottles for my friends here, lots of birthday parties.

Can you describe your clientele?
Are you constantly drawing new crowds with your humongous selection of DJ’s and MC’s? My clientele consists of a massive mix of music heads, weirdos, fashionistas, drunks, thugs, artists, downtown derels, dancers, hipsters in NYC, Philly & Baltimore, open bar addicts, head turners, designers, graffiti fuckers and some. Yeah, I think I am always drawing a new audience, my DJ arsenal is massive and now I just started booking live music very heavily. My Rolodex tripled when I started as late night coordinator for Joe’s Pub. Shit is hella hectic right now.

Who are some of the talent that has performed at your parties?
WOW SO MANY…

MCs: Slick Rick, Devin the Dude (NYC Debut), Smoothe the Hustler & Trigga the Gambler, Spankrock, Freeway, Chingo Bling (First NYC performance - Aug 31st), Bavu Blakes, Scavone, Plastic Little, Bands: Kudu, Plastic Little, Joey Semz, Stiffed, Blue Label, Trick & the Heartstrings, 33Hz, MIA, Trouble, Japanther, Chromeo, Spankrock, Team Facelift...

DJs: Hollertronix: Diplo & Low Budget, Rapid Ric, Alamo, A-trak, King Solomon, Technics, Ayres, Cosmo Baker, Elle, Semen Super Sperms, Rod Lee, Kech, Synapse, Tahlia, Xecutioners, Rub n Tug, Soul, Eleven, Riddler, Sureshot, Nick Catchdubs, Caps and Jones, Wilspin, Mark Ronson, Ted Shred, Lindsey, Justine D., DJ Lt. Dan, IXL, Spae, Aaron La Crate, Blu Jemz, Lloydski, Jumex, Christine Renee...

If you could sum up your career with one party, which one would it be and why?
Either the weekly…Retail Mafia Monday because it’s home in a dirtier and funnier, way more live way.

OR

My 23rd Birthday at B-Bar with: Hollertronix, DJ Technics, Jumex and Nate the Great. I was walking around with a baseball bat over my shoulders when I wasn’t splitting open bunny piƱatas or dancing. A-ron was feeding me drinks. Sparks was a sponsor and made me black the fuck out; I was Oxy on blast that night.

So what’s hot right now? Like what are some of the things you are feeling right now?

Musically, Diplo & MIA are untouchable. Dipset, Kudu and Spankrock. Green Lantern Instrumentals mix is in heavy rotation right now. I grew up listening to punk and my parent’s stoner records (Misfits, Cream, Black Flag, Jimi Hendrix, Bikini Kill) and I still do, they will always be hot. The Viola mix on Money Studies by XXXchange & Chris Rockswell is the hottest mix of the year. Hollerrtonix just released a new 12” on Money Studies, the TV on the Radio mix is an oldie but new too most, it is really hot.

I get new mixes daily so those examples are just generally always fun to listen too.

I am also feeling Espadrilles, Megu, PC Dolo, Patron on the rox, bath products from www.LUSH.com, HoustonSoReal.blogspot.com, the hot ass summer, my grandparents beach house in South Cacalaka.


What’s your role within New York’s Retail Mafia?
I’m the Heidi Fleiss of Retail Mafia.

Do you also play a part in A-Ron’s a NY thing record label?
Yeah I am behind aNYthing through media & music. I introduced him to Plastic Little and Kudu, so a little A & R. It is so new; we are all learning our piece in the puzzle of it all. The music he is releasing is some of the best. A-ron has a great ear.

What would you say is the best part of your job?
Watching Hollertronix become as big as they have. I put in some real work to promote those dudes. It’s rewarding and nice to see things blossom when you feel a really good thing and take risks. Seeing Philly, and now Baltimore getting recognition in the media and clubs is really sweet. Milk in SF keeps bringing us out there, which is a ton of fun, I like that city. Hosting parties with Houston So Real is straight fire; we always flip some shit together. When we brought Devin the Dude up here for his NYC debut, it felt like a dream.

VIP treatment, mad mix tapes, free stuff, meeting creative people, press, spreading the word about good beats, lyrics or blends, hosting parties, popping bottles for my friends, being on top of the game and traveling is fun too.

And the worst part would be?
People trying to social climb me…it hurts! I am too nice sometimes.

How’d your search for an assistant go?
Is that working out for you? I’m still searching. What I really need is a project manager, investor, assistant, account & lawyer, if you know anyone.

What’s next for Oxy? What can we look forward to?
CMJ is looking pretty ridiculous right now; Bun B is going to host the showcase I’m flipping with Complex magazine. aNYthing is opening a store soon. I don’t wanna say too much.

Describe a perfect night out?
I would go to Megu for dinner with my dude, then some drink in the LES with friends. Call up Big Broadway; go see Kudu play in a packed house at Joes Pub. Hopefully cuddling by 2am (that’s early for me).

Anything I forget to ask?
My favorite drink?

How rude of me. If it's not too late, should I have the chance to offer you a drink what would it be?
Veuve Clicquot Champagne OR Jack on the Rocks & a Red Stripe.

Got any ideas on who I should feature next?
Man, who to plug? You know who you should feature is CLAW, that woman is a super hero to me. She’s got a film coming out soon called Infamy on her life as a graffiti writer. She is the best and her clothing line is hella hot too.

Last words and or shout outs?
Diplo, Low Budget, A-ron, Bugsy, Bill Spector, Catchdubs, Justine D, Claw, Sarah Bronilla, Greg Naw, Fiona Bloom, Matt Sonzala & my parents all gave me inspiration and confidence at one point to do me. I would still be behind a random desk if it weren’t for them. All my party girls and guys thoroughly keeping OXY on lock. The Unicorn Skullz: fucking for rainbows daily. PMS for life.

Switching roles, if you were interviewing yourself, how would you end this interview?
Roxy Summers it was an honor and privilege to interview a woman of your caliber. Thanks!

*Just like baseball, three up three down and I'm out. Don't worry though folks as this was just a warm up. Look for new interviews coming your way.

No comments: